These are the powdered laundry soaps used at the Hobbit House.
Powder Homemade Laundry Soap #1
- 1 cup washing soda
- 1 cup borax
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 bar Fels-Naptha soap
- 4 ounces OxiClean
- Container with airtight lid
- Use 2-4 Tablespoons, depending on the size of the load. Makes about 60 loads.
- Cost per load: About 6-12 cents
Powder Homemade Laundry Soap #2
- 1 (4 lb 12 oz) Box of Borax- Found in the detergent aisle
- 1 (3 lb 7 oz) Box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda- Found in the detergent aisle
- 1 (3 lb) Container of OxyClean- Found in the detergent aisle
- 2 (14.1 oz) Bars of Zote Soap- Found in the detergent aisle (You can also use Fels Naptha)
- 1 (4 lb) Box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda- Found in the cooking aisle (You could also get two 2 lb box, we couldn’t find the larger 4lb box when we went)
- 5 cups Baking Soda
- To fragrance this soap, 2 Bottles of Purex Crystals Fabric Enhancer- Found in the detergent aisle, or any substitute.
- Prices vary but all these ingredients cost in my area about $30. Now I won't be bothered with purchasing and lugging soap into the house a few times a year.
- Grate Zote or Fel-Naptha soap with cheese grater or food processor.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bucket.
- Use 2 -4 Tablespoons per laundry load. I find 1/4 - 1/2 cup is more convenient since a cup measurer comes with the OxyClean.