Simple Soap Recipe
Simple Soap Recipe
I see so many new soapers ask for a simple soap recipe, so I decided to share one of my best go-to recipes. This recipe is ideal for new soapers and new to the art of hand molding cold processing soap.
A few things to keep in mind:
#1. Watch your oil and lye temperatures. The best results I’ve gotten so far have been at room temperatures. For Arizona that is generally about 85 degrees Fahrenheit. I have soaped colder, but this temperature is convenient. I don’t have to chill it, just mix oils/butter, lye and leave it for a few hours.
#2. Mentally walk yourself through your recipe, no matter how simple, and get all your duck in a row. This tip has helped me so many times I have to stress the mental state you are in when soaping (unless you’re on automatic pilot) is the type of soap you’ll get. This is why this soap recipe is so good for new soapers, not much to think about.
#3. Follow general safety guidelines for lye handling, covering exposed skin, eye safety and closed toe foot wear. I once got one grain of lye between my toes while wearing flip-flops. Last time I’ll do that.
#4. I used soybean oil for this recipe, although it can turn if you keep the soap for too long, because its easy to get and good for practice. No pressure about expensive oils and butters. All these ingredients can be gotten from just about any local grocery.
Never, ever add water to lye! Always add lye to water.
- Lard – 50%
- Coconut Oil – 30%
- Soybean Oil – 20%
- *Soybean oil can be substituted with castor oil or olive oil.
- Melt the lard and coconut oil in microwave or double boiler to incorporate these ingredients.
- Add your liquid soybean oil (or other liquid oil) to the heated mixture. This will help cool the oils.
- Add lye water to your oils, not the other way around (please read about how to handle lye).
- Stick blend your oils and lye until trace.
- Add colorants.
- Pour into mold.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Twenty four to 48 hours later, un-mold.
- Wrap in plastic.
- Place in sealed plastic bag.
- Use as needed to make your hand molded cold process soap!